Monday, July 15, 2013

How to Make a Cat Scratching Post!

Hi everyone!! Today is Monday and we will start the week off with a craft!! This is not original (sorry) but rather an adaptation of My Froggy Stuff's videos How to Make a DollCat Scratching Post Condo and How to Make Pet Stuff for Your Dollhouse and LPS. Please watch these videos as it helps to see someone do it and not just pictures!! ;) I am going to be sizing this appropriately for (AG) Licorice! I have two cats (real life) so when I saw the video I noticed it wouldn't be for scale for American Girl pets. Here goes...

You will need:
  • Cardboard tubes of different lengths (toilet paper, paper towel)
  • Yarn the color you want the rope on your post to be (I used tan to make it realistic)
  • Cardboard, stiff paper (I used a paper plate)
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue works best, but I used glue dots
Here are all of my supplies!!!

I started with the small tube. I put two glue dots (or you could use hot glue) on each side of the top of the tube...

 Push the end of your yarn into the glue and start wrapping!! The glue keeps it from slipping. 

Wrap snugly around the tube, but not so tight that the tube changes shape.

Once you get near the end of the tube, add more glue to secure the ends. 

Once the tube is covered, push the yarn into the glue and cut the end. 
Now cut a square of your stiff paper and wrap it with paper. I used purple tissue.

I cut a glue dot in four and smooshed them on the end. (or use hot glue dots) 

Press it firmly on your base. I have tried a couple of ways to close off the top, but none of them have worked or looked nice. If you make this and figure something out, leave a comment as I would love to hear how you did it!!! :D

Final Product!! :)

 I made a cat condo thing when I had glue sticks for my hot glue gun (I ran out) and I made it with two wrapped toilet paper tubes, a wrapped paper towel tube, and two bases.



 
The top base is wrapped with yarn, and I cut pieces of blue yarn and tied them into a pom pom. I then tied it on a string and then glued it to the bottom of the base. I used a lot of hot glue to make it stable.  I kind of overdid it on some of the spots with yarn, and then it looks a bit sloppy. :( 

One thing I like to do is add dots of hot glue on the bottom of things as grippy dots so the stuff I make doesn't slide on my wood floors.

 
Licorice is inspecting her new cat post. I think she likes it.

She looks like a queen on her throne. :)

Thanks for reading!! We will be back tomorrow and next week I will feature as our craft...

My Trundle Bed!!!

Woot woot!!! :) Feel free to leave us a comment!! (or two) We love hearing what you have to say!!!
~Hannah (the human)
P.S. Thank you all so much for the kind birthday wishes, I had a great day and weekend!!!!!!

 
 
 

 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. This is so cool! If we had a cat for our dolls we would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have one happy kitty in your house with that scratching post!

    Willsbardgirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat. Looks like Licorice like both a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long until Zippy and Oreo test it out?

    Love,
    The Debster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it is within their reach I am sure they will give it a vigorous test.
      ~Hannah

      Delete

We would love to hear what you have to say, but if you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it!!!! Thanks!!!
Hannah, Hanna, and Iman